Learning on the Move - Exploring the Use of Mobile Media in Education.

Saturday 1 October 2011

The Future of Reading is in Our Hands.

Catherine responds to a newspaper article on e-reading.



Image from bookdepository.co.uk
I think that one of the most exciting uses of mobile devices is accessing books online. As Ebooks rapidly outsell p-books, I am starting to imagine the demise of the book as we know it. So, I read with interest Professor Sherman Young’s article in the Sydney Morning Herald (3/5/11) that the book is dead. Indeed, the professor is so vehement in his beliefs that he has just written a book on it. He states: No longer are ideas tied down by the weight of physical objects. Now digital screens in all their multi-directional, technicolour, connected glory provide new opportunities to explore how we think, create and communicate. It seems that the reality of modern day publishing begins on the computer screen and it stands to reason that that is where it will stay. The professor propounds: ”Like it or not, the iPad and its ilk are the future of reading.”

While Young admits that there is an argument that screens (by way of distraction) will turn us into a generation of skimmers, he sees this as a cultural rather than technical reason. Perhaps we are too attracted to the “tabloid snippet”. I concur with this especially with the exponential growth of Twitter in our cyberworld. How easy is it to glean the essence of a conference, discussion, Hollywood marriage split, by reading a selection of 140 character comments?

Yet, the professor argues that texts online are actually becoming longer given the economic restraints of paper have been removed. He notes that academic papers are largely online and I have certainly found this to be the case when studying at present.

Perhaps the most interesting argument that Young makes for e-readers is that reading will become more tactile. As a teacher librarian, formerly an English teacher, this too excites me the most. Reading will become interactive with videos, animations, online dictionaries and translators. Young explains that: “The lines between movie, soundtrack, book and video game will become more and more blurred as reading becomes a more visible negotiation between author and reader.” For me, the possibilities are endless with this amount of interactivity especially with regard to boys, dyslexic readers, ESL students, in fact, all language learners. Students will also be able to collaborate with texts, adding subplots, choosing narrative pathways, annotating text and sending these to fellow students and teachers, interacting with characters and more.

Two exciting examples of how interactive texts have become are:

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore iPad App Trailer from Moonbot Studios on Vimeo.




Mike Matas talking about Al Gore’s new interactive book for the iPad.


It’s what books can do rather than what they are that is important. Print books will give way to e-books and we should embrace the emerging possibilities especially in education.


The future of reading is in our hands.
________________________________________________________________________



For those who would prefer a more “balanced” argument they may want to view the following sites:






References








4 comments:

  1. Hi Catherine,
    I've just read your blog about ebooks and totally agree with your comments. Having just started to read books on my iPad, I am totally amazed with the potential of this amazing device. I was thinking how wonderful it is for the visually impaired and for people from an ESL background. I am trying to this assignment on the iPad but I keep getting distracted by its various functions. Good work!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,

    My iPad arrives on Tuesday!!!

    If I don't get these blogs written now, I never will. I intend to spend a few days playing....

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Catherine,

    I can't tell you how many people I have shown your post to. What fabulous books you reviewed! I now have Al Gore's interactive book on my ipad and am enthralled by it. What a great way to learn. It is a wonderful time to be a teacher!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think e-books are terrific. There is so much out there now that we can do with technology. Our TL just got a Kindle eBook reader for her birthday and I was surprised at the clarity of the text, it looked as if it were the real piece of paper it was that clear. I am continuing to be amazed at the technology that is being developed before our eyes. I must say though, it is hard to determine which piece of technological equipment to buy: should it be the eBook because that’s what it’s designed to do or should we get the all in one iPad; maybe we should stick to having our gadgets do what they were originally designed to do or see how far we can push the bounds of technology.

    iPads are definitely one of those tools that have so many different functions that it will be of benefit no matter what you want to do with it. I recently went to the Library Network Conference and heard a seminar about mobile technology and the uses for schools. The iPad2 has the augmented reality software in it which will be very useful as it interacts with everyday items. This is something I look forward to seeing in action.

    My only concern for all these technological advances is their malfunctions. A book cannot crash, a phone cannot get viruses and your computer cannot get broken because you were using it on your way to work. However, when you combine all of our once loved things and devices you get something like the iPad, or one of the Gold Coast bookless libraries. That is one place I would love to be when their system goes down; ‘No books today, a virus has wiped out our books’. That wouldn’t be something you expect to hear every day or ever really. So although I love the iPad flexibility I believe it is always good to have a backup plan of some sort in order to keep things going even if technology stops to take a break.

    Katrina

    ReplyDelete