Learning on the Move - Exploring the Use of Mobile Media in Education.

Thursday 27 October 2011

Many thanks to my fellow bloggers.

Karen and Catherine,
Many thanks for your comments on my blogs, Catherine I like the term 'nomophobia'! I wish I could work out how to have my comments accepted, I've tried many times and continually get the same message - 'your account (learningonthego...) does not have access to this page. So here are my comments:

What a thought provoking article Karen, I would agree with Rob Ridley that young people have no idea of the repercussions involved in taking photos of themselves and/or friends in compromising poses.  I recently joined Facebook and added my daughters as friends, which has proved to be an informative and educative experience!  Most of the photos posted are downloaded from their mobiles and some of the photos could definitely be labeled ‘sexting’.  I don’t think they are aware that some of these photos are bordering on an illegal activity and so our family will be having a discussion on the legal ramifications of posting/smsing photos that show themselves or friends in unsavoury dress/poses.  As a teacher, it’s also important to discuss this issue with our classes, emphasizing the legal consequences of sexting.
Janye

I’ve seen QR codes in many places and wondered what they meant and what they were used for and now I know thanks to you, Catherine.  The YouTube video on what one school is doing with QR codes was inspirational.  The fact that you can load so much information on them including audio, videos, pictures and websites makes it an exciting learning tool.  The way the language teacher has used the QR code in the corners of worksheets, enabling her students to practice vocabulary and pronunciation anywhere, anytime means that in the classrooms where mobiles are banned, students can use there mobiles at home, on the bus or anywhere to access revision of lessons or homework.  My prediction would be that students would not be able to help themselves when they see a QR code.  Curiousity can assist learning but not all students are curious and this is one way to grab their attention, in what could otherwise be termed a boring lesson, ‘Not vocab again.
Janye

No comments:

Post a Comment